Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Zesty Turkey-Avocado Pitas

This recipe is one of our standbys. Thanks to my sister, Mimi, for sharing it with me. It's fast, fresh, light, and we all love it. The secret ingredient is Good Seasons Italian salad dressing mix. I now use the Kroger brand Italian dressing packets--much cheaper and they taste the same. You can play with the proportions; the list of ingredients below feeds our little family once, plus generous leftovers.


1 lb. ground turkey
2 slices of whole wheat bread, crumbled
1 packet salad dressing (my sister uses half a packet--I like more zing)

Cook the turkey in a skillet. Crumble bread into the turkey while you're cooking it. Add the dry salad dressing and mix. You're done with the turkey part.

1 large cucumber
2-3 roma-sized tomatoes
1-2 TBS vinegar (any kind you have on hand; I like balsamic)
1-2 TBS olive oil
I packet salad dressing (again, you can play with how much you put in)

Chop the cucumber and tomato into small pieces. Toss these five ingredients until nice and juicy. 

Sliced avocado 
About 4 pieces of pita bread, sliced in half (total of eight pieces)

Fill the pita pockets with a layer of the turkey mixture, then cucumber-tomato mixture. Top with shredded cheese (optional) and avocado. 


No comments:

Post a Comment